Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Laying it down.

For the first time today I had all my STs classes without her being on campus. She has a 17 month old son who came down with some kind of illness and had to stay at home. So, it was my first chance to see how the students would respond to the absence of higher authority. For the most part, the day went as smoothly as it does when my ST is in the room or has stepped out a few minutes.

However, during 5th period, which is the class that has the most taxing effect on my energy and patience, a slightly more difficult than usual bell-ringer was enough distract them from the task at hand. The bell-ringer was a sentence that contained a misplaced phrasal modifier and a passive voice verb, which in the students' defense was more difficult than correcting verb tense or adding necessary punctuation.

As much as I wished that their literacy skills were sufficient to be able to at least understand my explanation, their difficulty in doing so was not my main concern. Rather, I encountered an all too common attitude among students: the belief that the importance of language is subjective -- as one of my students expressed, "It doesn't matter what I say or how I say it as long people know what I mean."

Typically my classroom demeanor is calm, and I try to be as light-hearted and goofy with the students as I can. But at this student's comment, I snapped. At one time in my like, this would mean raising my voice and asserting how right I am as opposed to how wrong other involved parties happen to be. But I made a decision long ago to never deal with my students in such a way. Instead, I lowered my voice (so that students would have pay closer attention), slowed the pace of my speech, and explained my belief about the importance of language. Among other comments, I shared with them:
Language will either enslave you or set you free. I am here because I do not want you to be someone else's slave.


My seriousness caught the students off-guard. Some of them it probably didn't benefit; but they heard a perspective on language that was new to them. And perhaps something, over time, will come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment