Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Grammar and Motivation

To reflect on my recent observation, I had to complete the KTIP Task C form. Here's a look into some of my thoughts:


ANALYZE AND EVALUATE YOUR LESSON WITHIN TWO DAYS OF POST OBSERVATION CONFERENCE
1. Explain how you determined the levels of student performance on your objective(s). Attach rubrics
or criteria used in this determination.


I determined student performance based upon reading each worksheet in light of the attached rubric.


2. Sort the students’ performances into three categories and determine what number of students met the criteria in each category:

• Below criteria: __10__ # of students
• Meeting criteria: _16___ # of students
• Exceeding criteria: __0__ # of students

3. For each category, describe the students’ strengths and learning needs, if any.

•Below criteria: Most students below criteria put forth little or no effort and did not use class time in the computer lab wisely. Through conversations with 3 or 4 of these students, I found that openly admit to having no motivation and would rather either fail or copy other people’s answer than put forth any personal effort; however, this may not be the case for the rest of the students below criteria. Others seemed to struggle with basic reading comprehension and not following written directions.


•Meeting criteria: Although most students met criteria, they struggled with writing in complete sentences, spelling correctly, and using correct syntax. Even those who clearly put forth a good faith effort and attempted to give thoughtful answers struggled to express those thoughts clearly and with accurate language.


•Exceeding criteria: n/a


4. Reflect on the following:
•What does the analysis of your students’ performances tell you about the effectiveness of your instruction in meeting your students’ needs?


I am constantly aware of my students’ literacy deficiencies. I believe that the instruction ultimately could have no better than limited effectiveness because the students performed in accordance with their respective levels of literacy and desire to learn. I believe they need significant remedial language work. How can one understand literary themes or research about an historical era without first possessing the skills to do so?

Describe any patterns or trends in your students’ performances. How could these patterns or trends be used in planning and instruction?

Because of this and past assessments, the unit I am designing focuses on key building blocks of language that most have not acquired.

What knowledge, skills, and/or resources could help you increase your instructional effectiveness?

Because the students problems stem from root-level literacy deficiencies, I believe I would be able to instruct more effectively if I had more knowledge of linguistics. A resource that might prove beneficial to the students more immediately would be a course devoted to the study of remedial grammar issues. I don’t believe the problems that have mounted over the course of their lives can be mended quickly or easily. It may take individual tutoring, which is something I have done in the past and would be more than happy to facilitate; however, the workload inherent in student-teaching would not permit me to do so. But it remains a desire of mine; big problems never have big solutions; instead, real solutions will have to be small, humble, and (most likely) individual.

5. For each category of students, how will you differentiate or adapt instruction to move them forward?

•Below criteria: Again, for the below criteria students, motivation seems to be the defining difficulty. Considering the world view expressed by certain ones in this group, neither the fear of bad grades nor the desire for good grades sway motivation one way or the other; “real life” connections like “going to college” or “getting a good job” are equally ineffective. On the one hand, I deplore what seems to be little more than laziness; on the other hand, there seems to be something about the System that they simply do not buy – and if that is the case, I feel that those students possess a certain understanding that alludes many higher-performing students. But at this point, I do not know how to motivate such students. Although I want to, I question whether or not I can do anything about it; it rarely leaves my mind.


•Meeting criteria

In addition to the upcoming unit focusing on grammar, I will make a concerted effort to model clear, thoughtful responses to try to help students express their developing thoughts.

•Exceeding criteria

N/A

6. Describe how you have reported or plan to communicate learning results to students and parents.

On each worksheet, I made suggestions for clarifying and adding significant details to their research and writing. In addition, I pointed out recurring grammar issues and briefly addressed the problem. I will allow class discussion and questions and comments when I return the worksheets tomorrow.
______

So. There you have it. I'm always open for suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment